Thursday, June 29, 2017

Core Beliefs Matter in Treatment of OCD


Cognitive Behavioral Therapists often refer to "Core Beliefs" about self and the world. These beliefs shape everything we do, including Exposure Therapy for OCD. These beliefs matter.
  • I must be perfect or I'm a failure and therefore worthless.
  • I must do everything right on the very first try.
  • I must never make a mistake.
These beliefs are on auto-pilot. They guide my actions before I even realize it. OCD feeds on these beliefs, and uses every opportunity to remind me that I shouldn't do the things I fear, or do my treatment, because the stakes are too high. Another bit of CBT jargon is "Feared Consequences," and mine are dire.
  • If I make a mistake, this will prove I am worthless, and I will have no hope of peace or joy in my life.
  • I will implode from the pressure of my defectiveness.
  • I will go crazy from the anxiety.
Leonard had quite a lot to slog through with me to get to the point of doing Exposure and Response Prevention. ERP sounds daunting enough--"Do what you don't want to do in order to get better,"--without adding "And do it perfectly the first time." ERP works by taking it step by step, starting with something tolerable and moving up a ladder or hierarchy of feared actions. Contending with the a harsh critical voice yelling, "Whatever you do isn't enough" paralyzed me at first.

What are your core beliefs? Are they true for everyone, or only for yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment